Equipoise Physical Therapy
Physical Therapy located in Fort Lee, NJ
Knees are a common cause of pain, stiffness, and decreased mobility. Learn what Dipty Mali, DPT, MBA, CKTP, and her team of licensed physical therapists at Equipoise Physical Therapy in Jersey City, New Jersey, can do to relieve your knee pain and get you moving again. Schedule a visit today by calling the office or booking your appointment online.
Knee Pain Q & A
What conditions cause knee problems?
Knee pain, stiffness, and limited mobility may be due to:
- Injury to ligaments, such as a torn ACL
- Torn meniscus tendon
- Trauma sustained during an accident or sports activity
- Excess weight
- Altered gait due to hip or foot pain
- Patellar tendonitis
- Deconditioning that decreases the muscular support
Sometimes just planting your foot awkwardly during a neighborhood soccer game or other recreational activity can lead to knee pain.
If you’ve had surgery or other treatment for knee pain, your orthopedist is likely to recommend a course of rehab with physical therapy to help restore joint mobility and help prevent further injury. The physical therapists at Equipoise Physical Therapy can work with your doctor in designing a rehabilitative program that accomplishes the goal.
What symptoms can I expect?
The symptoms related to problems with your knee joints are as diverse as the causes of knee pain and may vary from mild to severe.
Depending on your circumstances, you may develop:
- Moderate to severe swelling
- Joint stiffness
- Noticeable redness and warmth to touch
- Sensation of weakness or instability in the affected knee
- Popping or crunching noises with moving the knee
- Inability to fully straighten your knee
Depending on the underlying cause of your knee pain, the symptoms may occur suddenly or build gradually over weeks to months, and even years.
What can physical therapy do for knee pain?
Often considered as important as the surgery to repair an injured knee, physical therapy is a vital component of your healing process. A physical therapy program can also address problems such as knee stiffness or thigh muscle weakness before more invasive medical treatments become necessary.
Your treatment for knee pain may include:
- Strengthening exercises
- Exercises to stretch muscles and promote flexibility
- Deep tissue massage
- Training to restore proper alignment as you walk, run, or jump
- Kinesiology taping to provide support for muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints
Also vital to a successful physical therapy program are the home exercises you’re given to promote healing and prevent future injury.
Schedule your visit at Equipoise Physical Therapy today. Call the office or book your appointment online.